Friday, March 24, 2006

Summer Employment

It is that time of year when parents have to start thinking about what their kids are going to be doing all summer. My 15yo will want to earn some money this summer.

The place where I went on retreat hires girls to work in the kitchen, serve food, clean the rooms, work in the laundry. It would be a great opprotunity. They train them in all aspects of hotelerie. They learn the proper way to present and serve food, how to set tables, fold napkins, make beds, do laundry, etc etc. Unfortunately they hire their summer staff in January. We are too late. I am still going to take her with her C.V. to meet with the woman in charge but, I don't think she will get to work there this summer.

She is going on a Leadership course tomorrow to be a counselor at an all girls camp. The camp is only for two weeks though, so what is she going to do for the rest of the summer?

My SIL suggested the Dollar store is looking for people. I've seen the girls who work there. I don't want my daughter hangin' out with them.

The past couple of years she has caddied at the Golf course but now she wants to work in the bag shop. I know what those kids are smokin' and I don't want her hangin out at the golf course either.

She has done her bronze cross and bronze madalion and next year she could be a lifeguard. When I suggested she get a job at the pool my husband was not crazy about her working at the gate. Basically she would be sitting around getting paid to do nothing.

So you can see that we don't want her just getting any job. We are concerned with what kind of influence her co-workers and her job environment will have on her. Can you tell we're a little.. not over protective... just protective of our first born? She is bright, enthusiastic, innocent, and we want to keep her that way. Maybe I could just pay her to live in a bubble all summer. Any better suggestions?

6 Comments:

  • I think being a lifeguard sounds good. I don't think they just sit around all day, and she would be outside in the fresh air of summer. What about on a farm, walking beans or detassling corn?

    By Blogger deedee, at 11:00 PM  

  • How about as a mother's helper or baby sitter for school age children who's parents work? Our boys had a lawnmowing service, nothing says a girl can't push a mower!

    By Blogger momofalltrades, at 6:28 PM  

  • When I was 15 I babysat for the whole summer for a family with 3 kids. It was hard work and there weren't any co-workers to worry about.

    By Blogger Erin, at 9:25 AM  

  • I was a lifeguard at a Country Club and a city pool--both in a small town. Neither was too hard. At that age I was babysitting a lot--the mother's helper idea sounds perfect. How about a camp jr. counselor? I was never a Girl Scout, but I was a counselor at a GS camp one summer (I was 19). We had several jr counselors who were your daughter's age. It's good, moral, responsible work.

    By Blogger Chilihead2, at 8:12 PM  

  • Humm, that is a hard one! I was thinking . . . have her work at a fabric store. Sure, she might want to die but she would learn how to add random fractions and maybe get a discount on fabric. Of course, that could mean absolutely nothing to her. But, I don't think that those older sewing ladies are a rough crowd! LOL!

    By Blogger Zoe, at 9:00 PM  

  • OH MOE!

    I hear ya. Jack and I are very over protective of our frist born girl. She has a job for this summer baby sitting my sisters 2 kids and speaking in french to them. She did this last summer. She will be 16 come the end of JUNE and she has expressed an intrest in the next summer getting a REAL JOB.
    HEaven knows what that will be.

    Hugs

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home