Thursday, March 16, 2006

In a perfect world

So, the babies are doing better and I'm thinking I will be able to go on this retreat. That is stressing me out more than taking care of sick kids. If I am going away I want all my laundry done before I go. I know this is impossible. I like to set my standards high. I really should have had my hair cut. I have to mop my floors. My mother is coming to sleep here tonight so I want my daughter to change all the sheets on her bed and clean her room. I am going to teach next Tuesday and it just hit me that I might not be ready. And I have no clothes. I live in my jeans and this is not a place you wear jeans. And I had no time to go shopping for clothes because my kids were sick, And, And....

I know there is a whole psychological thing going on. I am afraid to leave my family so I am finding all these excuses why I shouldn't or can't. This is only stressing me out more. I know this so shouldn't I be able to knock it off?

I always feel this way about things I look forward to. Like Christmas or Easter or vacations. I am anxious for them but, right before the time comes I think 'I haven't cleaned under my stove!' My life is not perfect yet. I need more time before I can enjoy it.

I feel this way but, I hope I don't show this to my kids. Everyday should be a holiday. Everyday my life is perfect, even if my laundry is not done and my floors are dirty. This is the only March 16 2006 I am ever going to have. I should be savouring it.

Ok, that did make me feel better.

I am going to really live in the moment and fold laundry as a meditation.

Now there's a book someone should write, The Meditation of laundry.

If I don't write again until Sunday it's because I packed my only pair of pants, one skirt and pjs and drove away screaming REEETTTRRREEEAAAT! Oh what will the neighbors say.

8 Comments:

  • Hi. Thank you for commenting on my blog(My Life As I Know It). I very much appreciate it! You encouraged me to work out which I need. I will have to check your blog out...L

    By Blogger Laura, at 3:11 PM  

  • Yea. You're totally going and you need to. Good.

    My mom is coming to visit tomorrow, and it's 10:30 and i haven't started cleaning my house. Hee Hee. I really should go now@!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:24 PM  

  • I do the exact same thing, cleaning like a madwoman, before leaving. It should be the opposite, clean like crazy, then sit in clean house to appreciate it!
    Have some fun on your retreat;)

    By Blogger deedee, at 12:30 AM  

  • don't bother cleaning... leave it messy... that way you won't be disappointed when you come back and it's still messy!

    ...take a deep breath...hug your kids... pray for your husband... and have a GREAT time!!!!

    By Blogger Tina, at 4:05 AM  

  • I tend to want everything just so, too. I'm kind of a control freak about everything and I'm trying to be a more patient mommy and accept that my house is just gonna be a mess at times (OK a lot!) Take a deep breath and enjoy your retreat! As my mother says, it's good "practice" for the husband to have to be in charge of the kids/household for a little bit!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:02 PM  

  • I hate the laundry. When I go to fold the clothes I get a 1 year old helper. And some how the clothes end up getting folded a gazillion times.

    Enjoy your retreat. Sounds like you really deserve it.

    By Blogger JeepGirl, at 1:31 PM  

  • Such positive words to live by.
    There is always so much going on it can sometimes be hard to remember. Thanks!

    By Blogger ms blue, at 8:27 PM  

  • Before we left Friday I cleaned my den, fluffed the pillows on the sofa, made sure the beds were made, and stopped short of running the vacuum because we were running late. But I am always cleaning my way out the door...worn out before we ever get on the road. :-)

    By Blogger boomama, at 6:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home