Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Commitment

I say he's my husband but, he's not.
We are not married. We have no piece of paper legally binding us together. This does not bother me. My parents had a piece of paper. Then their lawyers had lots of pieces of paper.

I did not expect to be with him until 'death do us part'. In the beginning of our relationship when the going got tough, I wanted him to get going or I assumed that he would. That is what my parents taught me. When you are not happy in your relationship, yell, scream, give em the silent treatment or just leave.

My parents had fierce, loud arguments. It seemed like they hated each other. I believed that the only way they could be happy was to split up. Now I think that even they could have lived with each other if they had really committed to loving each other. When you really love someone, you do not do things to intentionally hurt them.

This was a turning point for me in my relationship. Things changed, we had our son, we bought a house and it was not so easy to just leave. That is not what kept us together though. We are not 'staying together for the kids'. We are staying together because we are committed to each other. When I really dedicated myself to our life together, I realized that it did not make sense to argue about little things. I did not want to take out my anger or frustration on him because he is the person I am going to be with for the rest of my life. This was a profound shift in my attitude toward our relationship.

We still do argue, though not very often. I love him deeply, even when I'm not very attracted to him, even when he annoys or frustrates me. It is because I love him that I try to overcome my petty gripes and discuss major issues. This is his attitude as well. We are partners.

So when his sister in law asked me (again) if we were ever going to get married. I just said I don't know. I'm still waiting for him to ask me. But, I know we'll be together for as long as we're both alive so, I'm in no rush.

10 Comments:

  • aw, you got me a little teary-eyed reading that. i think i needed that reminder.

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 12:36 AM  

  • I think you are so right, you have to make a conscious decision to be committed to eachother. No piece of paper is going to do that for you. A wedding can be that moment for some people and others can make this decision on their own and in their own way. And on the long road of life together, you got to let go of a lot of the little stuff and just focus on what's important.

    By Blogger deedee, at 12:51 AM  

  • You are so right, that no matter what you have to make that committment to each other to love each other no matter what the weather. Good for you for making it work and for both of you.

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 3:52 AM  

  • Your Married already with Commitment like that. IN the truest sense of the word.

    Hugs

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 5:39 AM  

  • Hey, kind of like Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. They've got the best relationship in hollywood!

    By Blogger Laura, at 6:42 AM  

  • Thanks for your comments on my blog! I respect that you and your . . . not husband :) are so committed. Any type of long term commitment is so hard. It is like picking one flavor of ice cream for the rest of your life . . . but sometimes that is not so bad.

    By Blogger Zoe, at 11:25 AM  

  • LOL!! Yeah, I guess that you are right. One flavor of ice cream is a little bit hard to do! he he! I don't think my husband would like that either. Actually, I think that I don't like that because his favorite flavor is vanilla . . . how boring!! :)

    By Blogger Zoe, at 12:08 PM  

  • Wowwie, that was a good entry. I agree, even tho I'm married, it's just a piece of paper.
    You'll both know when it's right.

    By Blogger JeepGirl, at 12:11 PM  

  • I understand your background. My parents have been divorced several times. My mom is on her fourth marriage. It was hard for me to grasp that marriage is forever for a long time. I grew up, like you, with the "keep em til it doesn't work anymore" attitude. A "forever" covenant is a great thing - cherish that.

    By Blogger Tina, at 12:59 PM  

  • oooh I loved this post! And I think you have got it figured out, its so not about the piece of paper! It goes much more beyond that!

    great post once again!!

    By Blogger Kim/Thomas, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home