Monday, April 24, 2006

I'm no soccer mom

I was never big on sports, especially team sports. This may sound silly but, I think I was too polite for competitive team sports. I was always the smallest kid in my grade but, my biggest worry was hurting someone else. My most hated gym classes were floor hockey, broom ball and field hockey. Something about whacking at a hard ball with an even harder stick while in close proximity to other people made me dread these games. I was the one apologizing after I whacked a player from the opposing team in the shin. Oh, and I have no coordination. Throwing, catching I was never very good at that.

I worry that my kids will take after me. I don't want them to be the last picked for teams in gym. I want them to enjoy a game of ball hockey in the street or shoot hoops at the end of the driveway like the neighbor's kids. Unfortunately for my son, growing up in the suburbs of Montreal means all his friends spend three quarters of the year playing hockey. With 5 kids we do not have the time or the money to commit to the sport. The other part of the year is dedicated to soccer but, my son who is on the small side missed a couple of seasons and I fear now he is hopelessly unskilled where all the other kids have got all the moves.

So this summer my son decided to try baseball. Little did I know they start baseball at 5 so now my son is about 3 years behind and he has my knack for catching the ball. I can only cringe and look through the fingers of the hand that covers my eyes as the ball hits him in the nose. He has a huge glove all he has to do is move it in front of his face. There were no baseball moms there only baseball dad's with their own well worn gloves practicing with their sons. And me. Because my son's dad is a jock. A football MVP. Off playing rugby in Vermont while I take the boy tp baseball practice.

Yes, my husband plays rugby and my oldest daughter has started playing too. And my husband wants to take her along to his practices. Where the women on the girls rugby team are much older than her. And they will practice with her and be friendly to her and include her in their conversations about partying, living on their own, sex, drugs and... uh... NO. I have told my husband that before my baby (of 15 years who is at least 2 inches taller than me) goes to Rugby practice with him, he better remind these women that she is HIS BABY and they better remember that.

My other daughter, she's doing gymnastics. Every Saturday, I drop her off and pick her up 2 hours later. She always says she had a good time. That's all I want.

Soon it will be pool season with swim team, diving, water polo ans synchronized swimming. And rugby Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday which is probably going to be the same days as baseball. Can you believe I actually encourage them to sign up for sports?

5 Comments:

  • You don't have to play to be a soccer mom. Encouraging your kids to participate in activities and have fun (as well as excercise), is all one needs to do to be not only a soccer mom, but a good mom. :)

    By Blogger JayMonster, at 11:45 AM  

  • Good for you for encouraging them. My Sister played rugby in high-school and loved it! I do agree though that the older girls should be reminded that she is younger ;).

    I didn't do organized sports until I was old enough to get myself there. I chose carefully what I wanted to participate in.

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 3:59 PM  

  • Way-to-go! Sounds like you are doing a great job encouraging your athletic kids.

    By Blogger Truth, at 9:55 PM  

  • We're not an athelic bunch here. Jack does not paly sports at all and neither do I although i have no problem with them if they want to join. I have never forced my kids to do anything. Of course Nathan is young yet. So maybe next year....

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 5:38 AM  

  • Isn't it crazy?? They start these kids SO early! When I was a kid, we couldn't start being in sports until around 6th grade, it just wasn't available. Now, they start at three or four years old! I did't start my oldest in sports right away. I just plain old forgot. I mean, if he had been asking and asking I would have, but he never did. Now he's in kindergarten, and at least 2 years behind everyone else. Oh well! lol :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home