Thursday, April 20, 2006

Big Family Dinners

I had 25 people over on Sunday and the kids were off on Monday and Tuesday so I am just starting to catch up.

Why do we spend all day cleaning before 15 kids come over and spill juice, jello and crumbs all over. Why do I make the kids clean and organize the playroom when 15 kids are going to come and take everything out?

I've been having large family dinners at our place for years now. I am better organized now than when we first started. Here are some things I should do to make it go smoother:

  • Have all the food ready including slicing the meat and making gravy.
  • Use paper plates and plastic cups for the kids (they don't care).
  • Set the tables before people arrive. After they all start coming in I can't count right and we end up missing someone.
  • Buy lots of folding chairs.
  • Have a set of 20 dishes and wine glasses.
  • Buy lots of wine. Usually we have one family bring wine.
  • Use plastic dessert plates.
  • Let everybody bring something. Usually they bring dessert and there is always too much dessert... Mmmm leftovers.
  • Make veggies and dip and/or cheese and crackers and put it our for the kids before dinner. It's good to fill up on veggies and spoil your dinner.
  • Make fruit salad to serve with dessert. Anyone watching their diet will appreciate it and if the kids eat nothing but chips and cookies at least you can feed them some fruit.
  • (new this time) Clean under the sofa cushions because when the baby spits up all over the cushions and you have to remove them, everyone is going to see where you store the extra cherrios, toy cars, hair brush, etc...
  • I am sure there is more I could do but, I can't think of it now.

It is a lot of work, and this time was more challenging than usual but, I love it. However as the family gets bigger (SIL is expecting again 21 grandkids 6 siblings 6 spouses) We often talk about how we are going to keep doing it. At Christmas we had a big dinner at a church hall. I thought it went very well but, some enjoyed it less. We still do a real sit down dinner. We could switch to a more buffet style but, it wouldn't be the same. We should start sitting the little kids first. I think we have done this in the past.

Any of you have big family get togethers? How do you manage it?

6 Comments:

  • You must be Wonder Woman! Hope you had a happy Easter...

    By Blogger Laura, at 10:28 AM  

  • When my extended USA family gets together we do it in the summer, outside, picnic style. Your family sounds fun, I love big families with lots of kids.

    By Blogger deedee, at 12:33 PM  

  • I have big dinners quite often, but truthfully, big for me is 12 people, not 25!!! I do usually get all of your list done, except the fruit salad.

    I prepare a meal plan about a week in advance and follow it along. I include the cleaning chores and the chairs to get ready, that way hubby just has to check the list and help out (it's a fun trick). My plan works for me everytime.

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 1:18 PM  

  • we never have more than about 15 but you have some good pointers. Now I'll have to add the couch cushion thing since Sophie will be here by Thanksgiving.

    By Blogger Perri, at 6:27 PM  

  • ok, i cringe at the thought of a big sit down dinner, but i have a tip anyway. use brown packing paper for the 'tablecloth' at the kids table and set out crayons.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 PM  

  • I'm with you! My hubs family is not so large, only four siblings, but you add into that each sibling has at least four kids (except us, we stopped at three) and the grandparents and great grandparents and we always end up with almost thirty at our table. We tried the hall thing, didn't work. Too many folks whined. So every holiday we rotate through every ones home. We like to spread the pain. And I too, run through the house cleaning my arse off, only to have it destroyed within minutes of the family arriving. How do I survive? Wine, my dear. And lots of it!

    By Blogger Redneck Mommy, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home