Wednesday, April 26, 2006

If I had a Million Dollars



Every once in a while I like to imagine what we would do if we won the lottery. I am sure most people think about this. I start of course with the practical, max out our RRSPs, pay off our mortgage, buy a new van... Then there is the long list of home improvements, new roof (which we have to get this year even if we don't win the 6/49) new windows, garage door, renovate the kitchen, the upstairs batroom... Maybe even build a second floor and put in a fireplace but, when I start thinking about what I would really want in a house I realize if we had the money, we wouldn't be living in this house. I'd want one with more land, more privacy, maybe by the water and definitely we'd want it to be big enough to entertain our ever growing extended family. The question then becomes where would this dream house be? I mean with our millions we could decide to move to somewhere warm or live in the mountains or... That's about as far as I get before I realize, I don't want things to change that much. I like our life here. I like living close to my husband's family and I like that our lives are pretty simple. I don't know how much I'd want my life to change even if I had a million dollars.

I guess we would give a lot of it away, and share the rest with family and keep our life like it is. Just a little less stress about paying for the roof and the van, that's what I'd like. I'd take a million dollars though. Iguess I'd have to actually buy a lottery ticker first hun?

What about you? Would your life change completely?
I just love the Bare Naked Ladies. They're so Canadian Eh?

If I Had A Million Dollars
by Barenaked Ladies

If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you a house
(I would buy you a house)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
I'd buy you furniture for your house
(Maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman)
And if I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a K-Car
(A nice Reliant automobile)
If I had a million dollars I'd buy your love

If I had a million dollars
I'd build a tree fort in our yard
If I had million dollars
You could help, it wouldn't be that hard
If I had million dollars
Maybe we could put like a little tiny fridge in there somewhere
You know, we could just go up there and hang out
Like open the fridge and stuff
There would already be laid out foods for us
Like little pre-wrapped sausages and things

They have pre-wrapped sausages but they don't have pre-wrapped bacon
Well, can you blame 'em
Uh, yeah

If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a fur coat
(But not a real fur coat that's cruel)
And if I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you an exotic pet
(Like a llama or an emu)
And if I had a million dollars
(If I had a a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you John Merrick's remains
(All them crazy elephant bones)
And If I had a million dollars I'd buy your love

If I had a million dollars
We wouldn't have to walk to the store
If I had a million dollars
Now, we'd take a limousine 'cause it costs more
If I had a million dollars
We wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner
But we would eat Kraft Dinner
Of course we would, we’d just eat more
And buy really expensive ketchups with it
That’s right, all the fanciest ke... dijon ketchups!
Mmmmmm, Mmmm-Hmmm

If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a green dress
(But not a real green dress, that's cruel)
And if I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you some art
(A Picasso or a Garfunkel)
If I had a million dollars
(If I had a million dollars)
Well, I'd buy you a monkey
(Haven't you always wanted a monkey)

If I had a million dollars
I’d buy your love

If I had a million dollars
I'd be rich

9 Comments:

  • I read your title this morning and then went to make my coffee so I could drink it while reading the rest of the post. While the coffee gurgled, I thought, "If I had a million dollars..."

    "...I wouldn't change much. Pay off the mortgage, replace my poor old VW Golf on its last leg (or maybe just get her fixed up real good, I love that car and would hate to see her go), enjoy a very expensive bottle of something fizzy with my husband, and invest the rest."

    Heartening to see I'm not the only one who is satisfied with the way things are ;)

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 10:50 PM  

  • If I am going to be honest I would say that winning a million dollars scares the daylights out of me. So many people want the money when you win it and so many expect things from you. One of my Grandma's best friends one the 6/49 back in the early '80s. Their lives were never the same. All their kids ever wanted was money, despite having a new house and car each. And it broke her heart.

    All I would want would be enough to pay the house and the bills. Nothing more.

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 3:56 AM  

  • I wouldn't change much, either. I would pay off the mortgage, get a better car. Then I would pay off my brother and sister's mortgages. Fix things up in the house, invest in retirement and do a little traveling. I have these daydreams sometimes, even though I only buy about one lottery ticket a year. Not much chance on winning at that rate, huh?

    By Blogger deedee, at 10:20 AM  

  • I remember when this song came out, and how those last three words, tacked on the end, made me laugh the first time.

    A million dollars. Pay the mortgage. Full stop. Once that was done, probably just sock the rest of it away in a retirement fund. Without the large mortgage payments I make every month, I'd feel RICH, rich, rich.

    I'd be able to stop worrying about making ends meet, and I'd be able to travel. Maybe even make that job change I dream of.

    What the money represents to me is greater freedom of choice.

    By Blogger irreverentmama, at 5:43 PM  

  • I wouldn't move, since our house is the perfect size right now. I'd pay off our monstrous mortgage. Take us all on a trip and buy a BMW SUV just for me. No carseats.

    Love BNL! I threw Kraft Dinner at them when I was 16. (At a concert. You were supposed to.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:09 PM  

  • Umm..give money to my brothers to pay off their houses. Buy long term health care insurance for my parents. Pay Shelley's health care too. And then with whatever was left I go blow it all in one day on gifts, tons and tons of gifts!! I love to shop for others!!
    And I would buy a trailer and put it on a piece of land on the lost coast of California.

    By Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques, at 11:09 AM  

  • I love that song!

    I would pay off our mortgage and put a lot of it away for our kids' college funds. And take an awesome European vacation.

    P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    By Blogger Gabriela, at 11:53 AM  

  • I would hire a lawyer and financial wiz. Write a will, build our house, buy a new van and pay for 4 kids' college tutions....and then I think it would be more than spent. Oh, pay for a lifetime worth of housekeeping (did I run out of money too fast?)

    By Blogger April, at 12:20 PM  

  • THE LADIES ROCK!

    You know I have alot of land and privacy. I would wantmy house finished and all new stuff. BUT I don't think I would move. I might hire a gardner though to help me catch up on my flower beds.

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home