Friday, March 03, 2006

Mayhem & a Small Fire

Other applicable titles for this post

"I'm Aaaalll Right"
Does anyone else recognize this from the drunk uncle in It's a Wonderful Life?

The're coming to take me away. Ha Ha Ho Ho He He
Anybody recognize this? I don't know where it's from.

This all started when I volunteered to contribute something for the Teacher Appreciation Lunch at my kids school. I do really appreciate the teachers but, I gotta stop volunteering for stuff.

So I offer to bring sausages because I think it will be easy. Broil sausages, put in foil container, bring to school. Should be a snap. Have to be there by 11:45. So here's how it goes.

10:45 Working while babies trash the play-room (no tv for lent remember)

10:50 Realize what time it is and rush upstairs calling for babies to follow me.

10:51 Go back and get little baby because toddler is torturing her. Bring both to kitchen.

10:55 Put sausages in oven. No problem plenty of time.

11:00 Turn oven on. Works better that way. No problem I should still have enough time.
I boiled the sausages so I am sure they are cooked. The last thing I wanted to contribute was food poisoning.

11:00-11:15 try to keep baby away from stove which is the ony place she wants to be, stop toddler from playing tap baby on the head with things you can find in the kitchen. Send toddler to his room. Listen to screaming baby and screaming toddler.

11:15 Check sausages, not browning fast enough, remove one tray put 2 pans on stove, move baby away from oven, spill sausage drippings, put sausages in pans, flip sausages in oven. Pull baby away from oven.

11:20 Dress baby and put her in carseat on sofa

11:23 Flip sausages

11:24 Baby screaming, toddler screaming, baby upside down in carseat toddler knocker off sofa.

11:25 Baby is fine. Decide not to take her out of car seat (NO TIME) just hug carseat and send toddler to his room.

11:27 Smoke alarm goes off, toddler screams.

11:28 Check sausages, find small fire under element. Consider putting it out, blow on it no, water, no.

TIP Even though it isn't Tuesday:
Use baking soda to put out grease fire.
(but, you all knew that)

11:30 Crazy lady stomping around my house flapping things at smoke alarm. Toddler crying, baby crying.

11:31 Throw sausages at neatly into foil pan, close lid. Call toddler to get ready.

11:32 Smoke alarm again.

11:33 Wave oven mit at smoke alarm. Open 3 windows even though it is freezing out. debate leaving the house when smoke alarm may go off, decide to risk it.

11:35 Haul baby to van.

11:36 Dress toddler in dirty jacket (another story) no time for boots, pick him up and put him in van.

11:37 Go back for sausages

11:40 regret not starting van before, it's freezing!

11:45(ish) get to kids school to deliver sausages. They better appreciate it know I appreciate them!

Return home to a HUGE mess.


Note: The teachers really do deserve my appreciation. They are great.

No children were harmed during the production of this post.
It was just chaotic. There was never any actual danger.

3 Comments:

  • oh my gosh. I'm so glad you found me so that i then found you. this was HILARIOUS. and? awful. So sorry about the whole fire and toddler knocking baby off couch thing. And i cracked up that you totally admitted you just hugged the carseat because GAH! I'd so do that too if the kid were ok. So funny. Can't wait to go back and read more!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:11 PM  

  • Oh my gosh! What a hectic day you had. God bless you for volunteering, and thank God it's over, huh?

    By Blogger Veronika, at 8:38 PM  

  • OMG! You are a saint for going through all that!

    By Blogger beki, at 8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home