Sunday, June 11, 2006

Huge Map and gardening


Today, we completed a few things that have been on my to do list for too long. We put up the map my husband bought me for Christmas. I asked for a map that we could put up in the dining room so we could start showing the kids where things are in the world. I really don't think they teach enough global geography in school. They focus too much on North America. Anyway, I thought he would get me an inexpensive map about the size of a piece of Bristol board (2X3) Instead he bought me this huge(4X6) plastic laminated National Geographic Map. It was supposed to be $100 but he got it for the low low price of $60. It's great except, we didn't know how to put it up on the wall. We tried fun-tac but, that wasn't strong enough. We taped it up with clear plastic tape but, after a few days it would slowly curl up and fall down. So, It was in the corner of our bedroom all rolled up for months. Today, my husband cut some molding to make a frame and we nailed (and glued) it onto the wall. We just stand in front of it and look at it. There are so many countries I've never heard of and I was way off in where I thought New Guinea is. I'm going to learn so much thanks to my man and his HUGE map.

In the afternoon it finally, stopped raining. It's been raining here for days and the past few weekends have been rainy too, so we didn't get our little vegetable garden planted. Before you thing I am a real gardener, let me tell you, we have two 4'X4' garden boxes that we plant a few store bough vegetable plants in. It's mostly to show the kids where vegetables actually come from. We have fun watching them grow and picking a fresh cucumber for dinner once in a while. We usually plant cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and some lettuce. What do you plant? What works well? What's really easy to grow so even a hopeless suburbanite like me can grow it?

Two of the kids went to birthday parties today. One was a gymnastics party, the other laserquest. Both expensive. The laserquest on, there was 14 kids. It must have cost a small fortune. When I went to pick my son up they were enjoying the pool and the hot tub spa. I took a peak in the house, all nicely renovated and decorated. It makes me feel like we're missing something. My husband makes a good salary how can they afford SO MUCH more? Ok, ok I don't really want to keep up with the Jones's it's just...

9 Comments:

  • ....that they may up to their eyeballs in debt? My husband sometimes gets upset visting friends of ours, their lifestyle is way beyond where we could be. The difference is that he inherited a large fortune from his grandfather, therefore, no mortgage. While we have a mortgage and no inheritance. It's hard not to want to keep up with the Jones' sometimes :)

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 4:54 AM  

  • stuff is just stuff! really! you knew that, silly.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:51 PM  

  • I like the big map idea.

    By Blogger deedee, at 1:18 AM  

  • That's a great idea. I may try that. I have som amny things I want to do around here but afraid to start in case they don't get done.

    And I know what your saying. I have friends with the most amazing stuff. Some are two income families and not kids. So they can Spoil themsleves. Others are Families and stuff and BIG DEBT! Like 2 nice cars (ONE a big honken SUV, I could afford to drive it let alone park it in the driveway) Nice stuff. I have 2nd hadn stuff and it's never clean here or the house is not finished.

    BUt what I do when the I wanna keep up with the jones comes along is say but am I happy or would I be happier with all that stuff. The answer is always NO. My family is what is important.

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 5:15 AM  

  • I agree with you on the "there are so many countries I've never heard of before"..... wow! I'm clueless as to how many countries there are that I don't know about!

    By Blogger Tina, at 4:49 PM  

  • I read this on another person's blog today and thought of this post! :)

    Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level."
    ~Quentin Crisp

    I LOVE THAT!!!

    By Blogger Tina, at 12:50 PM  

  • I just downloaded google earth and showed it to the kids. They loved it. We zoomed in from outerspace to view our house. Also they wanted to see 'Disney World', and a Volcano. so I showed them Mt St. Helens.

    As for keeping up with the jones, if where you live is like where we live, then alot of people are house poor and are trying to live a life style they can't afford.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 1:35 PM  

  • Thank you so much! We have a huge map that we bought without knowing what to hang it with too! It's been rolled up in the back of our bedroom closet for well over a year. I'm going to show your post to Jake tomorrow - I'm so excited - we'll finally be able to hang it!

    By Blogger Undercover Angel , at 8:18 PM  

  • I love geography and love to travel. I only hope that through maps and the internet I can instill the same love in my brood. Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'; there will always be someone with more ... and many people with less.

    By Blogger y-vonne, at 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home