Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Oh pity me

As if no microwave were not bad enough. I now have NO AIR CONDITIONING in the van. We don't have air conditioning at home so sometimes when it's really hot I load up the kids into the van and drive off to the mall but now, getting in the van is almost unbearable. My dear husband has gone off to canadian tire to see if he can get stuff to fix it.

And there are people starving in the world. Our environment is being poisoned by toxic gasses from our over dependance on fosil fuels. Refugees are forced to flee their homes in fear, they live in tents and stand in line for water if they are lucky.

Ok, I am regaining perspective. I have it so good.

Say it with me "We have it so good."

What do you do to maintain awareness of those truly in need?
Do you read or watch the news?
If some international crisis catches your attention do you research to find out what you can do to help?
Do you regularly support charitable organizations?
How much do you know about the organizations you support?

I really wish I could do something tangible with my children to make them aware of what life is like for those less fortunate than us. We help with Christmas baskets for the needy. We always donate our old clothes, toys and things to a place that gives them to those in need. We give to our church and we gave money and school supplies to help to build a school in Malawi. It still does not seem like enough.

4 Comments:

  • maybe you should send them on a missions trip this summer.... my girls really gained a lot of insight into how good they have it on the missions trips they have taken..... though sometimes not enough insight.

    By Blogger Tina, at 9:44 PM  

  • I'm so sorry your A/C in your van is broken. Brings back bad memories of driving 45 min on the freeway with the windows down to church. Made for lovely hair!

    We donate to humanitarian efforts through our church, but I don't think the kids see that and the good it does. We try to donate to every food drive, etc. that comes along and have them participate in service projects through church, too. I don't know if that is enough though!

    By Blogger Nettie, at 5:48 AM  

  • Good topic.
    I don't watch the news much anymore, I get too sad. This year, we are trying to help the environment by walking more and driving less. The french schools have a "marchons vers l'école" program going to help encourage kids to use their own two feet as a means of transportation. This works, because we live in a small town.
    ps I am getting closer to getting a photo in my header-merci

    By Blogger deedee, at 6:41 AM  

  • That sucks about the air conditioning.

    I get my children to watch the news, and they also watch the Amnesty International TV shows. When my oldest was 3 he wanted me to take him to Africa so he could take food to everybody. He just couldn't understand that although we could afford to help with donations, we could not afford to feed the entire nation.

    By Blogger Undercover Angel , at 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home