Monday, May 08, 2006

Congratulations Big Sis

My big (well actually she's much smaller than me) sister just won an award for women pursuing careers in non-traditional trades. She is taking a course in cabinetmakers. Today I attended the swank awards show. Just like the Oscars only... well... not much like the Oscars but, they did have fancy trophies. She also won $2000. Woo Hooo! Way to go big sis!

After the Awards there was cocktails and nibbles and my sister introduced me to some people from her school. I am introduced as my-sister-who-has-FIVE-kids. So of course there are the usual comments and questions; You're brave, how old are they (15,8,7,2,1), etc. Then, I mentioned that I wish they had had this contest 12 years ago when I was one of two girls in my computer programming course. One of the women said "Do you work?" (what woman with 5 kids doesn't?) I said "Yes, I work from home" She said "Oh good" with a sound of relief in her voice. Yes, heaver forbid I waste my education and chose to be "just" a stay at home mom.

The mommy wars are still on. Very sad.

Kudos to my sis though!

9 Comments:

  • Yes, heaven forbid we work ourselves to exhaustion for zero pay and ethereal benefits, using none of the education we paid for and learning on the job. One of these days the mommy wars is going to get me arrested for assault. ; )

    By Blogger Jen, at 7:09 PM  

  • You are so right about the mommy wars - they are alive and well. Makes me sad, too.

    By Blogger boomama, at 7:23 PM  

  • assault? Next time a career mom makes a comment, just put them in time out.

    By Blogger Jeff, at 7:53 PM  

  • Unreal! Funny how people asscoiate sucess with having a job as WELL as raising kids. I figure sucess is having the courage to DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO! Whether it's to have kids and work or be a sahm. Isn't that what it's all about...choices?

    SAD...very sad.

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 5:54 AM  

  • Most of the time I am happy at home with my girls, but then that "I should be working" guilt sneaks back in and I have to remind myself that this counts too, even though there is no paycheck or promotions.

    By Blogger deedee, at 9:39 AM  

  • Oh! Here's my favourite:

    "I guess you would have to be a SAHM with four kids. I just couldn't do it. I need to be challenged and pursue my own interests."

    Yeah, cause I'm not challenged or in pursuit of my own intersts.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 PM  

  • Ah..gotta love those comments!

    When I first decided that I wasn't going to go back to work outside the home, my MIL worried that I would lose my identity in staying home.

    Lose my identity?

    By Blogger Dawn, at 7:37 PM  

  • So funny. Yeah, you are working your booty off and not quite getting paid enough . . . but, I always say that I would never trade it for the world! You go girl!! (Otherwise, I might miss incidences like the doggie door mishap!)

    By Blogger Zoe, at 8:38 PM  

  • Congrats to your Sis! And yes, the comments and looks I get when I say I am a SAHM is enough to shoot your self esteem down a notch. Then, I remember that the ones making the comments are usually the ones that are jealous that they didn't make the same choice.

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home