Wednesday, June 07, 2006

End of the world

I didn't post on my blog yesterday because I figured, what's the point? The world is going to end because the date is 06/06/06.

Well here we are a day later and the apocalypse didn't happen. Oh darn, I guess that means I have to do the laundry too.

I am always amazed when people read way too much into dates. For me, any day is just another day. You don't need to call me on my birthday or get together on Christmas day, any day will do. Being the child of divorced parents, it really bothered me when one of my parents would get mad and sulk because I didn't chose to spend a special day with them. How did I solve this dilemma? I don't spend any special days with either one of them.

I have to admit though, I am guilty of saving things for a special day. I buy fancy candles and save them for a special occasion. Then I forget where I stored them and find them melted two years later. Or I wait to get my hair cut until I have something special to do, then my hair gets way too long, I get frustrated, cut my bangs myself and THEN go to the hairdresser. But the worst thing I save for special occasions are the loving words I want to say to my husband and my kids. I think of all the touching things I will write or say to them when it's their birthday or graduation or fathers day but when those days actually come we are usually too busy or I don't know how to say it just right. The 'special' days pass with true feelings again unsaid or if I do say them, the special days are not frequent enough.

My husband is the opposite. I can't ever buy candles for a special occasion without hiding them because he'll use them every day. I think his way is better. So, tonight I'm lighting some candles and having a special ordinary family dinner. If I owned good china I'd use it. And I'm going to remind each member of my family how much they mean to me today and every day.

What about you? Do you save the good bath salts for a special occasion? Have they grown dusty on the shelf in the bathroom? Come on, join me and use them on this special day. After all, it's the day afetr the end of the world!

7 Comments:

  • Save anything for a special day...Well everyday is specail even if I'm in a bad mood.

    I have a sock in the tub as a treat. I make sure (Now that it's summer) to sit a read for a few mintues everyday OUT on the back deck.

    For my family I love the First HUG of the day. Everyone gets one. And they have a bad day if they don't get a hug from MOI!

    I do use the good dishes and we do light candles in occasion and we all sit ont he couch once and awhile a cuddle under a blanket and watch a movie we've seen a 100 times.

    Hope everyday is special for ya.
    ;)

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 6:17 AM  

  • OK a soak...no sock...damn another sharonism.

    I reread and never catch those.

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 6:18 AM  

  • What a nice post. I agree, you shouldn't save the good things for special days. My mother had a pile of embroidered pillowcases in her linen closet that she was "saving." She probably still has them. I remember looking at them as a child, wondering why, because they were so pretty. I have to say the set of embroidered pillowcases I got for my wedding wore out long ago. (We've been married 17 years). But I enjoyed their prettiness every day for hundreds of days first! No regrets...

    By Blogger Nettie, at 7:09 AM  

  • Phew, blogger is letting me comment today.

    Great topic. I tend to save clothes for special occasions. I am going to try and get out of this habit and wear good clothes everday.

    By Blogger deedee, at 4:04 AM  

  • Thanks for the reminder that saving stuff for a special day usually means it gets forgotten. I have a basket full of candles and bath salts, stuff I used to treat myself with all the time, I hardly find the time these days, but I think I will make some time soon.

    As for the good words and love, we share it all the time in my family. We are an extremely close bunch. I talk to my parents more when they are on vacation than when they are home. Always keeping in touch. Hubby knows I love him everyday, I never let him leave for work without a kind word or kiss and hug.

    Hope you had a great dinner and I'll pull out some candles for tomorrow.

    By Blogger BeachMama, at 7:16 PM  

  • Wow, It really is a special day for Meredith's neighbour's every day. Won't they be mad at me when they find out Im the one that encouraged her to wear clothes every day.

    By Blogger T, at 5:18 PM  

  • Oooops, I meant to say I save good clothes for special occasions. I really truly promise that I don't run around naked all the time.

    By Blogger deedee, at 5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home