Thursday, June 15, 2006

Girls Night Out

Last Night I went out on the town...

Well, ok, I just went to a restaurant down the road but, there was wine, good food, and pleasant conversation. And, no one under the age of 20. And, no husbands.

Did I mention there were NO kids?

It was an end of year party for the group that organizes the excercise classes I have been taking. I was a bit nervous since I didn't know these women very well. I convinced a friend to come with me but, I had nothing to worry about because we were soon chatting with all the women sitting within earshot.

One of the women is the mom from my 8yo's elementary school class. When she told me her daughter's name I realized she's the girl my son has a crush on. He drew a picture of her daughter, Maddy locked up in a tree house and him coming to save her. (just like his dad, he wants to be superman) And I have another page where he wrote "Maddy's Lovers". We all had a good chuckle about young love.

I was quite happy we got there when we did because I found a seat next to the organization's daycare manager. All the day courses include free childcare, without which I would not be able to take a class. Obviously this makes the courses and the daycare very popular. When I signed up the first time, I was not sure it would work out. The center is a 15 minute drive away and in the winter with coats and boots and getting the kids ready and finding parking and carrying the babies and my bag with my workout gear (including weights) and the kids stuff I thought it might just be too much hastle to get to the class. If my kids (1yo and 2yo) cried everytime I dropped them off, I would have used that as my excuse not to go. However, this did not happen. The daycare staff, especially the manager (that I was lucky enought to sit next to last night) were amazing. My kids loved it so much, my 2yo would ask all the time to go to "gym day" and my 1yo started doing the hand gestures for the wheels on the bus that they sang at daycare. So, thanks to them, I had no excuse not to work out!

It was nice to get the chance to tell her how much my kids enjoy going to their "gym day" and I got to know her a bit better. It turns out her youngest son is graduating from the same high school my daughter attends. Since her kids are older than mine, I asked her for advice on everything fron driver's licences to summer jobs. Her kids are lifeguards and my daughter has her bronze cross and bronze medalion so she could lifeguard next summer. We talked the (too tight, too skimpy) bathing suits they wear and the parties they go to and how she got them home at a decent hour.

Since I have babies and teens I have issues in common with most moms whether they are new mom's with little kids, elementary school volunteers or frustrated parents of teens so I talked to many of the women there and only a couple of jaws dropped when they heard I have 5.

It was a really pleasant evening. It just made me aware that I've got to get out more. Not that my virtual internet friends aren't great, you are but, I don't know that it would be so healthy for me to polish off bottles of wine while I sit in my basement clicking away on my keyboard.

13 Comments:

  • LOL! I'm having a glass of white as I type this post! But, you're right; we must keep our 'real-life' friendships flourishing. The blogworld expands our universe and our blogpals may hold our hearts, but it's our IRL friends who hold our hands through the dailiness of life.

    Wow, I just made that up. Cool! C

    By Blogger Chrissy, at 9:11 PM  

  • how funny that you could tell the mom of your sons crush, I have thought about telling the mum of Rose, (the one who kissed a different boy:) but couldnèt think of how to put it that her daughter ripped out my sons heart..the little harlette..haha

    sounds like you had a great time, you should definately do it more often:)

    can you think of anything fun to do in montreal for me and Pickles, thomas is working today (friday) and we are trying to find something easy and fun to do...i think we may head to the outdoor market by cinema guzzo, i could find that easily enough and usually when we are going to the cinema, its closed:)

    By Blogger Kim/Thomas, at 7:03 AM  

  • It sounds like you had fun. I have a bad habits of telling the mothers of girls that my sons have crushes on about the crush and my oldest son gets really embarassed by it. It worked in his favor though, because that's how he got his date for his Grade 8 Grad next week!

    By Blogger Undercover Angel , at 4:35 PM  

  • A night out with the girls always does me a load of good.

    By Blogger deedee, at 12:29 AM  

  • Don't you just love nights out like that? Maybe you could see if they plan on organizing another dinner for when the class begins again?

    By Blogger Jennifer, at 4:43 AM  

  • Nights out are fun. I was to go out tomorrow night and changed my mind because I'm broke. Maybe I will change it back.

    Nice post Moe. LOVE IT.

    By Blogger Silver Creek Mom, at 12:14 PM  

  • that sounds like so much fun. good to get out once in a while.

    By Blogger Tina, at 2:51 PM  

  • Me too, I have a teenager and a 1 year old. Not to mention the two boys inbetween. hehe
    I don't like it when my 14 year old has crushes. Yikes! Gray hair city !

    By Blogger JeepGirl, at 12:35 PM  

  • What a fun evening! It is true about blog friends being great, but IRL friends being necessary!

    By Blogger Nettie, at 1:09 PM  

  • Sounds like you had fun! Glad you got out for awhile;o)

    By Blogger FLmom7, at 6:27 PM  

  • Where have ya been? Don't tell me you are actually busy this summer with all your little kiddos! Isn't summer time crazy? HOpe you find yourself in bloggerworld again soon...

    By Blogger Laura, at 1:19 PM  

  • wait a second, you went out with the girls...and never came back??? are people out looking for you or what?? hahaha, i'm sure you must be busy busy and like me...probably needed a break from blogging....take care! kim

    By Blogger Kim/Thomas, at 7:13 PM  

  • Where are you?

    Wondering in Marrakesh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home