Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Chores

I believe chores are good for kids. I also need the help. I can't keep up with the mess from 7 people and get work done too. My oldest (15) helps out the most. Dh does all the heavy lifting and renovations - lots of renovations. I joke we are buiding a new house from the inside out. He also helps a lot with the kids. He came home early today so I love him dearly - today.

Laundry:
15 year old has been doing her own laundry for 5 years. I am starting to teach my son (8 years) He keeps his laundry in his own hamper I clean it and he folds it and puts it away - sometimes. 6 + 8 year old have been putting away their folded laundry for years. I separate it by what drawer it gois in and giv it to them one drawer at a time. My 2 year old LOVES to help with laundry. I give him a pile of clothes and tell him who to give it to. They hide he runs down the hall they scare him thay all laugh and then if I'm lucky he gives them the clothes and it gets put away. When I'm not so lucky I find little piules of folded laundry in the oddest places. Mismatched socks get thrown in a basket and when they run out of the 10+ pairs of socks they have I sort them (I HATE sorting socks) I spend SO much time doing laundry!

Kids rooms:
I try to get them to tidy them everyday or so. They take their clothes to the laundry room, tidy their beds and put stray toys back in the play room. My 15 year olds room is always a mess and she is always cleaning it - for hours she 'cleans her room'. Dh renovated her room and she is lucky to have a huge closet, nice desk, dresser, bookshelf and night table. In other words a place for everything but, it all ususlly stays on her floor. Well at least she has no time for TV she is always cleaning her room!

Supper Time:
When 15 year old gets home from school she helps out with babies so I can work or prep dinner. She preps dinner sometimes. She/I tidy up kitchen, living room, dining room so it isn't as much of a mess when Dh comes home. When kids (6, 8) get home they do homework at the table or run screaming through the house if I am not there to supervise. 6 + 8 year old alternate setting/clearing the table. We DO NOT HAVE A DISHWASHER AAAAHHHH! So I do dishes every night with 15 year old or Dh. 15 year old sometimes watches babies in the bath.

On weekends everyone 6+ helps out. They whine and complain. If being a good parent instead of crazy sceaming lady I do not tolerate complaining and I send them to their room untill they are ready to help out without whining. The oldest gets more jobs If she doesn't do what she's been asked properly.

I know my oldest daughter is a huge help. I used to give her allowance. Now she earns her own money but, I will pay for things she wants or activities once in a while. Nobody else gets allowance.

It sounds like everyone pitches in to keep this place running, it is a dump most of the time. As soon as I mop the floor a bay spills juice or speads cherios all over for people to step on. Everyone dumps their stuff when they come in unless I am standing there telling them to put it away. Even when the house is cleaned as best we can, it is still a work in progress... Ah the joys of a fixer upper.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home